Adam Turoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Damian just got finished his YAPC opening talk, and managed to allude
> to dispatching and autoloading.
>
> As it *appears* today, regular dispatching and multimethod dispatching
> are going to be wired into the langauge (as appropriate).  Runtime
> dispatch behavior will continue to be supported, including things like
> AUTOLOADER and the like.

Whoah! The wired in dispatch rules are going to be runtime dispatch
rules, but with potential compile time short circuiting where the
compiler knows enough stuff (frankly, I'm not sure I'd expect to see
compile time short circuiting in perl 6.0, maybe in 6.001 or whatever)

> As of January, the thinking is sub DISPATCH {} will handle runtime
> dispatching behaviors, including autoloading, but easily accomodating
> value-based dispatching, AOP style pre/post methods, and whatnot.
>
> Unfortunately, Damian said that the design team isn't saying much about
> this, because the semantics aren't quite worked out yet, especially with
> the interaction between autoloading and other dynamic dispatching
> behaviors.
>
> Yes, this is a *big* issue.

Yeah, but it's a late binding one.

--