On Tuesday, December 16, 2003, at 04:01 PM, Chip Salzenberg wrote:

According to Michael Lazzaro:
As someone who has 90% of their projects relying very critically on
speed

... an anecdote ...

Yes.

and who has had to battle a number of clients' IT departments
over the years in defense of said speed compared to other popular
languages which, out of spite, I will not name,

... and a public relations issue.

Yes, again.

Let us not confuse them.

I'm not sure I understand which part of that is in conflict. Is it the premise that some people use Perl in environments in which speed is an issue, the premise that Perl5 has a public relations issue about being inappropriate for speed-critical environments, or the conflation that someone that works in speed-critical environments, and wishes to use Perl, is going to run up against the public-relations issue?

MikeL