Larry Wall skribis 2004-03-25 12:33 (-0800):
> On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 11:35:46AM -0800, Brent 'Dax' Royal-Gordon wrote:
> : Larry Wall wrote:
> : >      say @bar.elems;      #  prints 1
> : C<say>?  Not C<print>?
> It's just a "println" spelled Huffmanly.

What happened to the principle that things that work similarly should look
similarly?

I dislike having another method/function/whatever to do exactly the same
thing, yet a little different. That is PHP's niche.

Can't we instead just have a pseudo-filehandle or perhaps a tied one and
just use C<print> to print?

    ln.print @bar.elems;
    print ln : @bar.elems;

Though I'm not sure why a feature like this would be needed at all, so I
think this is something users should define something like this
themselves if they want it:

    my &say = &print.assuming :ors "\n";

(Wildly guessing syntax here. I cincerely hope parens won't be needed.)

I think I prefer things the way they happen to already be.

    print @bar.elems, "\n";

Also, I think C<say> is a bad choice. Many people use a function called
C<say> for chat bots and text-to-speech. It will of course be possible
to override the builtin, but for a good reason most people choose to not
do that.

Has this C<say> already been decided?

Juerd