Aaron Sherman skribis 2004-04-15 14:29 (-0400):
> On Wed, 2004-04-14 at 16:56, Juerd wrote:
> > How many of those backticks
> Note, those weren't backticks, those were programs. There were 123
> PROGRAMS that used backticks or equivalent syntax.

I said backticks, and I meant backticks. I'm not sure why there is
confusion over this.

Perhaps this can disambiguate: how many of those backticks in those 123
programs.

> > And how often are simple hash subscripts used?
> Very often.

Many times as often as qx and friends?

> Security is not an issue for this code.

It should be.

> code review? You made and assertion: backticks aren't used much. That
> assertion is faulty.

I didn't formulate my statement carefully enough. I should have said:
"as much as hash subscription".

> Executing external code is commonplace, and probably done more often
> than method invocation in the wild!

I want to doubt that. Or better: help change that.

> > It's just one keyword and a set of quotes more: $( readpipe "pwd" )
> And thus, it is not like the bash/zsh style syntax in the least.

Why should Perl have to limit itself to shell-like syntax? It doesn't do
that with if-constructs, foreach-loops, procedures, etcetera, etcetera,
etcetera.

> Unless there is substantially new information in this thread, I think
> you have presented your case for yet another new subscripting syntax.

I think I have presented two cases. The removal of `` and the
introduction of %hash`key. Either can be implemented without breaking
the other, though I obviously think both letting `` go and introducing
the infix ` is better.

Juerd