Aaron Sherman wrote:

=table C<$_> | C<$x> | Type of Match Implied | Matching Code
=row Any | CodeC<< <$> >> | scalar sub truth | match if C<$x($_)>

That's (the above comments aside) the same thing, and as I said when Luke suggested it, it seems fine if that's the way we'd prefer to go. I do want to make sure that there's some way to associate a caption, though. HTML doesn't have a real caption concept, but many markup languages do.

Yes it does. There's a <CAPTION> element for tables in HTML 4.01/XHTML 1:

http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/tables.html#h-11.2.2

Is the general consensus,then, that an C<=>-introduced form would be better? I do agree that we don't want the capability to nest tables, as that DOES break POD down into a presentation system, which it was never meant to be. So perhaps the balanced syntax is too misleading there.

I like the =table =row form. Sufficient syntax for laying out simple tables without letting people do silly things.