On Tue, 14 Sep 2004, Austin Hastings wrote:

> I was thinking about removing files this morning, and realized that I
> wish rm supported inclusion/exclusion.
>
> In particular, I wanted to remove "* but not Makefile" (since my
> Makefile uses lwp-download to re-fetch the source code, etc.)
>
> It occurred to me to wonder: can P6's c<but> do the same thing?
>
> That is, can I say:
>
>   $my_rex = qr/fo*/ but not 'foo';
>
>   while (<>) {
>     unlink if /$my_rex/;
>   }

The word "junction" came to my mind as I read your mail.

$my_rex = qr/fo*/ & qr:not/foo/;

(I don't think that :not is the option to negate, but there must be some
syntax that works)

I am not saying this is a better way to do it, but just another way that
seems to do the same thing in the same way.

> In general, what needs to be done to support this 'but, used as part of
> a boolean'?

--abhijit