On Thu, 16 Sep 2004, Michele Dondi wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Sep 2004, Matt Diephouse wrote:
>
> > Or in Perl 5, which has to use 2 subs to have the same interface (code
                                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> Huh?!?
[code snipped]

Oops! Sorry, I hadn't noticed that! To be honest I have not checked what
the interface you proposed actually was. The way I've written it is how
I'd do it *in any case*. But then the point is *not* writing a sub to do
that, for it is a priori obvious that the are tons of WTDI:  I'd be rather
interested in the possibility of doing it *the way I proposed* in the OP,
which I find conceptually appealing.

Michele
--
'Most any OS will also support either read(2) or some equivalent. Most
support read(2) directly: Win32 does, though it also has its own set