In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Larry Wall) wrote:
>Maybe type parameters are just subscripts?  [...]
>    my Fight %fight does key{Dog;Cat};

I like that.

>But if English-like is the criterion that'd still read better as
>    my Fight %fight has key{Dog;Cat};

I like that even better.

>Maybe "has" and "does" are just synonyms, and you can use
>whatever makes more grammatical sense.  But pretty much every time
>I've introduced synonyms into Perl I've come to regret it.  But hey,
>if I introduce *different* synonyms this time, does that count as
>making a new mistake?

=)  Isn't "synonym" just Greek for TMTOWTDI?

To me, role-"has" seems different enough from attribute-"has" that
the context would make it pretty clear which was meant.  (But maybe
I'm just missing something subtle.  Or else something blatant.)

>The problem with a thesaurus is that it only gives you synonyms, not the
>word you really want.  :-)

Heh.  Sometimes I know the word I want, I just don't know I know it
until the thesaurus reminds me.  And the rest of the time I just like
looking through all the words.  As often as not, something on the
opposite page catches my eye and I end up forgetting what I was
looking for in the first place.

>Well, there's always "domain" and "range", if we want to be mathematical.

I'm happy with those too (perhaps because I do want to be a bit
mathematical).

>Or we we wanted to be NASAesque, they'd be FATs, for Formal Argument Types.

"is FAT"?  Yeah, that works for me too.  =)

>Well, I just put "is shape" because that's what the PDLers settled on,
>but as far as I'm concerned linguistically, it could just be "is dim".
>That would settle the "make-it-like-English" question by making it
>not at all like English.
>On the aesthetic hand, "shape" is a much prettier word than "dim".

I would take that as an abbreviation and read it as "is dimensioned",
which is English-like enough for me.  It's also short.  And I don't
mind calling it dim, because if it were so smart, I wouldn't have to
tell it what to do in the first place.  But "shape" *is* prettier.

                  -David "pondering the shape of things to come" Green