Perl 6 Summary for 2005-01-11 through 2005-01-18
    Welcome to yet another Perl Summary brought to you by music and pizza
    (although the pizza is late in arriving). Like many summaries before it,
    we start with an attempt at non sequitur and Perl 6 Language.

  Perl 6 Language
   idiomatic Perl 6
    Stéphane Payrard expressed a desire for more Perl 6 sample code. Luke
    Palmer issued the following, possibly foolish, response: "post some
    \"how do I\"s to the list, and I'll reply with code". Austin Hastings
    posed a couple, not response yet...

    <http://xrl.us/er2z>

   generalized tainting
    Yuval Kogman posted an interesting musing about contagious properties
    (if you get your value from someone with a contagious property, you get
    the property too). No responses, but it sounds interesting...

    <http://xrl.us/er22>

   stick/pick
    Richard H. suggested a new pair of functions stick/pick which would have
    modifiers such that push, pop, shift, unshift, and splice could all be
    calls to stick or pick with appropriate modifiers. Unfortunately, I
    think he posted it to the google groups interface, as it is there but
    not on the list :-(

    <http://xrl.us/er23>

   Perl 6 IDE again.
    Matisse Enzer re-raised the question of the feasibility of an IDE for
    Perl 6. Unfortunately it was re-raised on google groups (I think).

    <http://xrl.us/er24>

   1x6 vs 6
    The dimension slice issues continue to grind with new suggestions from
    David Green and Craig DeForest.

    <http://xrl.us/er25>

   life span of loop counters
    Joe Gottman wants an easy way to restrict the lifespan of his loop
    counter to his loop. Some folk (myself included) did not like the answer
    of wrap it in a scope. Some others (myself excluded) thought the answer
    "don't use loop, use for" was a bit of a cop-out.

    <http://xrl.us/er26>

   forany & forall
    Jonathan Lang wondered how to check if a condition is true for any
    element of an array or for all elements. The answer are the aptly named
    junction creaters "any()" and "all()".

    <http://xrl.us/er27>

  Perl 6 Compiler
    Already reached p6c and no pizza :-( Ah well, it was a light week.

  Parrot Internals
    Already p6i and no pizza :-(. Although it was close, after I wrote the
    head2 my door buzzed. It was just a neighbor who got locked out, but
    that would have been impressive timing.

   blib in 25 seconds
    Peter Christopher asked for a 25 second summary of the ./blib directory.
    Apparently this is harder than Hamlet in 30 seconds, as one of the two
    has been done.

    <http://xrl.us/er28>

   searching archives
    Peter Christopher wanted to know if there was a way he could search the
    mailing list archives. Steve Fink pointed him to groups.google.com and
    the ever popular discussion topic "aardvarks".

    <http://xrl.us/er29>

   dynclasses with external dependencies
    Bernhard Schmalhofer wondered if there was a reasonable way to check for
    external dependencies for dynamic PMCs that does not involve the core
    Parrot configure step. Later he supplied a patch with his GDBMHash pmc,
    which motivated the question. Leo applied it and hinted at a mythical
    multi-stage configure

    <http://xrl.us/er3a> -- question

    <http://xrl.us/er3b> -- patch

   s/interpreter/INTERP/g
    Bernhard Schmalhofer provided a patch making the above clean up all
    over. Leo and Sam applied different parts of it.

    <http://xrl.us/er3c>

   black-ops parrot
    Robert Spier posted a link to the new listing for Parrot on CIA.
    Nicholas Clark dove for cover assuming he was going to be disappeared.

    <http://cia.navi.cx/stats/project/parrot> -- CIA <http://xrl.us/er3d> --
    actual post

   PDD problems on the website
    Dave Brondsema noticed that PDDs 4-6 were not finding their way to the
    website properly. Will Coleda fired off a patch.

    <http://xrl.us/er3e>

   cleaning old tickets
    Will Coleda, in his never ending role as RT janitor, closed out a few
    obsolete tickets. Thanks Will.

    <http://xrl.us/er3f> -- stone-age exceptions

    <http://xrl.us/er3g> -- assemble.pl

    <http://xrl.us/er3h> -- languages/imcc

   Scope and Timely Destruction
    Leopold Toetsch raised the recurring issue of timely destruction. It
    turns out that timely destruction is hard. Various people made various
    suggestions. Let me state one thing clearly as if I don't, Dan doubtless
    will: Parrot will NOT use reference counting of any kind. There are a
    great many reasons for this some of which Luke Palmer explained.

    <http://xrl.us/er3i>

   ParrotIO* should have been PMC*
    Peter Christopher provided a patch fixing a pointer declaration bug. Leo
    applied it.

    <http://xrl.us/er3j>

   questions for the compiler FAQ
    Some time ago, a compiler faq was started. It was to contain answers to
    questions that people posted to the list. Will Coleda posted 2 such
    questions, but got Warnocked.

    <http://xrl.us/er3k>

   languages/perl6
    Will Coleda wondered what was going to come of the languages/perl6 stuff
    since it now has its own SVN repo. No answer.

    <http://xrl.us/er3m>

   Parakeet with broken wings
    Will added an RT ticket for Parakeet which got broke in the shuffle.

    <http://xrl.us/er3n>

   crashing parrot
    Will found out that he could crash parrot by doing stuff with GCed
    memory. Leo admitted that one could.

    <http://xrl.us/er3o>

   collecting academic garbage
    Shevek wondered if there was a good place where he could read about
    garbage collection techniques. Garrett Goebel pointed him to just such a
    page.

    <http://xrl.us/er3p> -- the post

    <http://www.cs.kent.ac.uk/people/staff/rej/gc.html> -- the page

   argv[0]
    Will wants to get at the moral equivalent of argv[0].

    <http://xrl.us/er3q>

   proposed VTABLE changes for method lookup
    Leo suggested a VTABLE change to facilitate MMD and method lookup.
    Suggestions and questions were provided.

    <http://xrl.us/er3r>

   food
    Matt Fowles's pizza arrived. The reader then speculated that either (he
    writes slowly or it arrived quickly) or (he writes quickly or it arrived
    slowly), depending on various readers estimates of Pizza delivery time
    and expected word per minute summarization.

    <http://xrl.us/er3s>

   bring hither the fatted parrot
    Dan has returned to us. Hopefully he will be able to advance the quest
    for meta-objects and interoperability.

    <http://xrl.us/er3t>

  The usual footer
    If you find these summaries useful or enjoyable, please consider
    contributing to the Perl Foundation to help support the development of
    Perl. You might also like to send feedback to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

    <http://donate.perl-foundation.org/> -- The Perl Foundation
    <http://dev.perl.org/perl6/> -- Perl 6 Development site
    <http://planet.parrotcode.org/> -- Parrot Blog aggregator