Luke Palmer writes:
Craig DeForest writes:

Yeah, the sigils do get in the way for small placeholder variables like
these.

    Â @C[ $i; $j; $k; $l ] = @A[ $i; $j ] * @B[ $k; $l ] Â

Losing the carets doesn't do much for us (and would force us to use the
explicit syntax, whatever that might be).  Hmm, on the other hand, ^
doesn't mean anything in term context yet.  I feel uncomfortable about
allowing ^ as a shorthand for $^, since every other variable in the
whole damn language has one of the four standard sigils.

What about adding fifth sigil into the language? To be used only with placeholder-variables?

That way ^ (or whatever char we choose) wouldn't be shorthand for $^, but part of the actual variable name, as are other sigils. That char should be selected based on it's readibility in expressions like these.

Would placeholder variables be used often enough to varrant their own sigil?

Luke

-- Markus Laire <Jam. 1:5-6>