Steve Peters wrote:

While looking into Perl 6 and pugs, I noticed a problem with Pairs pretty quickly. Although pairs look like a very useful data type, I could find in the "Perl 6 and Parrot Essentials" or any Apocolypse or other document
on how to get the key or value from a pair. I was thinking .key and .value seemed logical (and Autrojus implemented them in pugs faster than I could
even spit out the names), but that doesn't make them "official".

They're official. See Exegesis 3:

    A parameter by any other name

    In Perl 6, C<< => >> is a fully-fledged anonymous object constructor --
    like C<[...]> and C<{...}>. The objects it constructs are called "pairs"
    and they consist of a key (the left operand of the C<< => >>), and a value
    (the right  operand). The key is still stringified if it's a valid
    identifier, but both the key and the value can be any kind of Perl data
    structure. They are accessed via the pair object's C<key> and C<value>
    methods...

Damian