On Tue, Feb 22, 2005 at 02:47:53PM -0500, Mark J. Reed wrote:
: Incidentally, will \o, \x, and the hypothetical \d still work without
: curlies for a certain number of digits but require curlies for larger
: numbers?  I'd rather see consistency there.

Well, we switched to square brackets for those to avoid closure
confusion, and the consistent rule is that it will parse as many
valid digits as possible, and you need the square brackets only if
the following character would be mistaken for a valid digit.  So
\x1abcd is a valid Unicode codepoint somewhere in Plane 1.  It can
also be written \x[1abcd].

I don't think \d is gonna work.  Maybe \x is short for \0x and that
also gives us \0o, \0d and \0b, plus any other radix we come up with,
assuming we decide it isn't overly ambiguous with bare \0.

Larry