Larry Wall wrote:

On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 08:10:15AM -0600, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
: I ran into this problem while creating a mini-list of S29 functions
: (which Rod's work supercedes, I suspect, and I'm very glad he's taking
: this on). What are some guidelines we could use in deciding : which functions are automatically in ::* ? Or is this just a case : where we need to use past experience and best guesses as our guide?

[snip]

The upshot of all this is that, as you suspected, this is something
we'll just have to work out as a community.  What we can do right
now is tell people not to be surprised when we move things around,
and that we'll feel free to move things around until 6.0.0 is about to
go golden.  But maybe we could try to set some slushiness milestones
on the road to hell freezing over...

What I'm thinking of doing is creating a soft rule of:
You can't declare a function into ::*. You have to create it elsewhere, and bind it in.

Therefore, as I go through S29, I'll assign all functions to some module. I'll be using the P5/CPAN hierarchy as a strong guideline.

We can then discuss what gets bound into ::*, and when, at some later point in time.

-- Rod Adams