On Wed, 2005-03-16 at 14:17, Brian Ingerson wrote:

> Kwid does this by formally changing
>
>    X<...>
>
> into
>
>    {X...X}

Ok, where is THAT proposal?! I'm reading the doc that's in
doc/perlkwid.kwid in the pugs source tree. Hmmm... odd, I just did an
update and it's GONE now... was I looking at some phantom doc that had
an old spec for Kwid?!

> Where `X` is any Pod code like `B`, `I` or `C`. Since there are only 3
> codes in common use (ignore `L` for a second), Kwid thus uses {*bold*}
> {/italic/} and {`code`}.

Well, I'm personally not fond of the bare-bracketting with {}, but as
long as it's not a stand-alone /italic/ like it was in the original doc,
that sounds fine. Why {/foo/} is more readable than I[foo], I'm not
sure... but I'll try to take your word for it.

> For L<...>, I decided to use the very common wiki idiom of [...] for a
> link. Everything in the `...` is the same as Pod.

There, I think you're making a small mistake, but not a huge one. I'd
separate out magical wiki-like [foo] from pedantic, pod-like L[foo] so
that you can get either one. Wiki's [foo] is like a URN, where POD's
L[foo] is more in tune with a relative URL.

> > While I appreciate several features of Kwid, I feel that it should not
> > replace POD without first adopting a POD-like simplicity.
> >
> >         Some people have argued that Kwid is only a syntactic change to
> >         Pod. I would argue that they are correct.
> >
> > They are demonstrably wrong. You cannot Parse Kwid correctly by changing
> > the syntax of a POD parser.

> The behaviour of this is completely consistent. You may need to reread the
> perlkwid document for it has recently changed.

Apparently.

> ie
>
>     * foo
>     bar
>     * baz
>     boom
>
> matches
>
>     * foo bar
>     * baz boom
>
> matches
>
>     .list
>     * foo bar
>     * baz boom
>     .list.

Hrm...

How, then do you differentiate:

        * Bullet list.
        1. Numbered list.
        Other
                Term/definition lists

? In POD, that would be:

        =item *

        Bullet list

        =item 1

        Numbered list.

        =item Other

        Term/definition lists

> I would encourage those interested in further fleshing out Kwid to join
> irc://irc.freenode.net/#kwid where all of this is actively being
> discussed.

Sorry, no access to IRC at work. If the specification of core pieces of
P6 are being done off-list, why is there a list?

--
Aaron Sherman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Senior Systems Engineer and Toolsmith