Nicholas Clark skribis 2005-04-12 13:58 (+0100):
> > (Still, having them around does help many people, and that's why I think
> > perldocs should perhaps come in several languages (as a different
> > project, so translation delays don't delay Perl releases)).
> "Should" ?

Yes, should. That's ideology, though.

> Who is going to pay for all these translations?

Who is going to pay for Parrot? Perl 6? Who's paying for Pugs? Who's
going to pay for perldocs in English?

Did I miss some important memo?

Many people work on Perl 6 voluntarily, and as many could work on
translations, but you need an army of translators to keep up with newer
versions, and that's why I think it should be official, so it gets
lots of attention.

> There are already volunteer efforts to translate into Japanese and Italian,
> according to http://www.perl.org/docs.html plus I'm aware of perlchina.org,
> which is actively translating documentation to Chinese:
> http://wiki.perlchina.org/main/recently_revised/

That's nice, but were this an international project for in theory any
language in existence, then I had probably heard of it much sooner,
which is my argument for making translated perldocs an official project
that isn't limited to any language.

Juerd