According to Michael G Schwern:
> And this is exactly what File::chdir does.  $CWD is a tied scalar.

I don't think current directory maps well on a variable.  That won't
stop people from using it, of course.  :-(

There are several methods to determine the current directory.  Each
one has its corner cases, strengths and weaknesses (thus the
proliferation of Cwd module functions), and it doesn't make any sense
to me to elevate one over the rest through the proposed $CWD.

        mkdir '/tmp/foo';
        $CWD = '/tmp/foo';
        rename '../foo', '../bar';
        say $CWD;  # Well?  Which is it?

--
Chip Salzenberg            - a.k.a. -            <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
         Open Source is not an excuse to write fun code