Larry Wall skribis 2005-04-21 15:50 (-0700):
> There's one minor problem with -r -w $file, which is that it evaluates
> right-to-left, which is going to surprise some people who think they
> want to say
>     -e -r $file
> when they really mean
>     -r -e $file

It doesn't have to, of course. The test can be postponed and delegated
to the lexical first -X operator. A matter of letting -X behave
differently in -X context than in any other context, I guess.

> Now the interesting thing about the ~~ approach is that it naturally
> lends itself to
>     given $file {
>       when :x         {...}
>       when :r:w       {...}
>       when :r(0)      {...}
>       when :u | :g    {...}
>       default:
>     }
> I suppose it's a little bit rude to grab all the pairs for testing
> against all the strings, so maybe we have to say
>     given $file.test {...}
>     $file.test ~~ :r&:w
> or maybe
>     given $file.stat {...}
>     $file.stat ~~ :r&:w

Perfect!

> BTW, I'm assuming the $file is either $filename or $filehandle there.

Which brings me to the following: can open please use the same kind of
$file, so that open $filehandle just checks $filehandle's mode and
returns $filehandle again? That way, every library function that accepts
a filename automatically also accepts an open filehandle, which has a
thousand and one benefits.

Juerd