On Sep 22, 2005, at 3:08 AM, Luke Palmer wrote:

On 9/22/05, Carl Mäsak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

FWIW, to me it looks fairly intuitive. undef here means "don't alias
the element, just throw it away"... gaal joked about using _ instead
of undef. :)

Joked?  Every other language that has pattern matching signatures that
I know of (that is, ML family and Prolog) uses _.  Why should we break
that?

Because the way Carl has it is more consistent with Perl 5, from whence most of our users will be coming? Because 'undef' has a nice visual weight, while '_' can all too easily disappear? Because throwing away values is something that we probably shouldn't make too easy?

IMO, it's immediately obvious what it means.

Not IMO.  _ in this context is content-free for me.

But, whatever. I'm sure it will end up being _ if this feature is added.

--Dks