Perl 6 Summary for 2005-09-26 through 2005-10-02
    All~

    Welcome to another summary, this time a day late because I was in Philly
    for Serenity. If you haven't seen Serenity yet you should stop reading
    this summary and go see it. The summary will be here when you get back.
    I promise.

  Perl 6 Compiler
    No postings this week. I blame Piers for scaring them off last week.

  Parrot
   Summary Links
    Last weeks load lib thread morphed into a conversation about the life
    span of the shortened links that appear in summaries. Piers pointed out
    that, although the short links expire, the long links are archived at
    perl.org.

    <http://xrl.us/hvbn>

   RT Cleanup
    Joshua Hoblitt has been continuing his massive clean up of RT. It makes
    me glad of two things: that someone is doing it and that I am not doing
    it. I won't post all of the links for these messages, but much work is
    getting done.

   debug segments
    Jonathan Worthington posted an RFC of his design for debug and source
    segments in Parrot's packfiles. People seem to like it generally.
    Hopefully the design will be implemented soon.

    <http://xrl.us/hvbo>

   Leo's Context Branch Hits the Mainline
    After a few more reviews from Chip, Leo's context branch has been dubbed
    ready and has been moved to the mainline. This marks the culmination of
    quite a bit of hard work from many people (especially Leo). Nice work
    all.

    <http://xrl.us/hvbp> -- bit of review

    <http://xrl.us/hvbq> -- merge

   Amber PMCs
    Roger Browne wondered how he should include Amber PMCs. Leo and Will
    suggested he put the pmcs into the languages directory similar to the
    way Tcl does it.

    <http://xrl.us/hvbr>

   Data::Escape Needs Tests
    Jerry Gay added a TODO for tests for Data::Escape. This would be a great
    thing for an eager lurker to cut his or her teeth on.

    <http://xrl.us/hvbs>

   Magic Numbers Bad, Magic Strings Good
    Last weeks magic thread ended down with the conclusion that Parrot would
    use a magic string instead of a magic number.

    <http://xrl.us/hvbt>

   Tests fail on win32
    Jerry Gay opened a new RT ticket for some failing tests on Windows.

    <http://xrl.us/hvbu>

   Here Doc in PIR
    Will Coleda revived a thread from February about PIR here doc syntax.
    Looks like the syntax is ok.

    <http://xrl.us/hvbv>

   Win32 PCRE
    François Perrad enabled PCRE on Win32. Jerry Gay applied the patch.

    <http://xrl.us/hvbw>

   PLATFORMS and MinGW
    François Perrad updated the PLATFORMS file for MinGW.

    <http://xrl.us/hvbx>

   parrot_config dependency
    Nick Glencross provided a patch (for comment only) that eases the
    dependency on parrot_config. I am not sure that he got many comments.

    <http://xrl.us/hvby>

   Data::Escape::String Dislikes Unicode
    Will noticed that Data::Escape::String doesn't work on Unicode strings.

    <http://xrl.us/hvbz>

   Make Cleanup
    Joshua Hoblitt started RT tickets for several things that are part of a
    general make system clean up.

    <http://xrl.us/hvb2>

    <http://xrl.us/hvb3>

    <http://xrl.us/hvb4>

   Parrot Leaves Crumbs
    Nick Glencross rediscovered the core files that parrot leaves around.
    This is a known problem.

    <http://xrl.us/hvb5>

   Parrot Threads
    Dave Frost wondered what the plan for Parrot Threading was going to be.
    The answer (provided by Leo with more details from Jonathan Worthington)
    was OS threads.

    <http://xrl.us/hvb6>

   Once deprecation's lost its fun...
    Leo went on a bit of fall cleaning adding things to the deprecated list.
    He even threatened to resolve some of them soon.

    <http://xrl.us/hvb7>

    <http://xrl.us/hvb8>

    <http://xrl.us/hvb9>

    <http://xrl.us/hvca>

   Lexical and Variable Sized Register Frames
    With the calling conventions having been redone, Leo has plans to move
    to system of dynamically sized registers frames with static lexicals
    stored directly in them. Chip should produce details soon.

    <http://xrl.us/hvcb>

   Exception Handling Bug
    Roger Browne found a bug with exception handlers in the new scheme. Leo
    fixed it. I wonder if anyone made a test out of it...

    <http://xrl.us/hvcc>

   Config missing output
    Will Coleda noticed that Configure.pl was not outputting a response to a
    step on his platform.

    <http://xrl.us/hvcd>

   Parrot 0.3.0 TODO
    Robert J Eaglestone wondered what would be a good way of chipping in.
    Will Coleda, predictably, tried to turn him towards working for the good
    of Tcl.

    <http://xrl.us/hvce>

   Tru64 Issues
    Jarkko Hietaniemi appears to have recently come into some time with a
    Tru64 machine. He found lots of problems, which he added to RT, so I
    won't link them here.

   src/extends.c
    chromatic made good on a promise to auto generate src/extends.c
    automatically. Leo quibbled over pod, but thought it was good.

    <http://xrl.us/hvcf>

   Calling Vtable Functions from PIR
    Roger Browne found he can no longer call vtable functions from PIR
    directly. Leo felt that it was no longer necessary,

    <http://xrl.us/hvcg>

   registers don't start zeroed.
    Jerry Gay found a test that was failing. Leo pointed out that I and N
    register no longer start zeroed, so the test should manually NULL them
    first.

    <http://xrl.us/hvch>

   Tcl Compiling
    Will Coleda has not beaten his Tcl interpreter into the starts of a
    compiler. It looks quite cool and progress is on going.

    <http://xrl.us/hvci>

   BROKEN.pod
    chromatic has plans to add a broken.pod file to the root of parrot
    detailing things that need love. Joshua Hoblitt thought that it should
    be split up into RT tickets. Leo suggested one be auto generated from
    the other. I like that idea.

    <http://xrl.us/hvcj>

   Parrot gobbles up memory
    Andy Dougherty noticed that parrot was eating up memory. He managed to
    trace the problem to a pointer aliasing issue. Leo suggested that this
    was probably cause by a casting macro that needed some loving.

    <http://xrl.us/hvck>

   Software Architecture of Parrot
    Klaas-Jan Stol announced his intent to write a paper on the current
    architecture of Parrot for a CS course. He also asked for help with
    editing to eliminate inaccuracies.

    <http://xrl.us/hvcm>

  Perl 6 Language
   stringimification
    Last weeks stringimification thread wound down early this week with the
    [second hand] declaration from Larry that things would stringimify the
    same as they interpolate.

    <http://xrl.us/hvcn>

    <http://xrl.us/hvco>

    Stringification, numification, and booleanification of pairs

   .thingies in different context
    Juerd posted a fairly thorough explanation of how .thingies (like .chars
    and .elems) can be made to DWIM most of the time. Warnock applies.

    <http://xrl.us/hvcp>

   "Do It Once" Feature
    Last week's thread about a "Do it once" feature morphed turned to flip
    flop operators for a way to implement it.

    <http://xrl.us/hvcq>

   Perl 6 Polyglot
    Geoffrey Broadwell posted a link to his O'Reilly blog article "Perl 6
    Polyglot".

    <http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/7928> <http://xrl.us/hvcr>

   "\&"
    Ruud H.G. van Tol wondered about using \& (which means the whole match
    in sed) in Perl 6. Larry announced that $<> would serve this purpose.

    <http://xrl.us/hvcs>

   Look ahead/behind for loops
    Dave Whipp wondered about having for loops with look ahead and look
    behind arguments. The idea has mixed review with Damian being fairly
    vocally opposed.

    <http://xrl.us/hvct>

    <http://xrl.us/hvcu>

   Exceptuations
    As Piers predicted Exceptuations are still Exceptuating.

    <http://xrl.us/hvcv>

    <http://xrl.us/hvcw>

   Seeing the Light
    David Storrs sees the light at the end of the tunnel for Perl 6.
    Hopefully that doesn't mean it is dead.

    <http://xrl.us/hvcx>

   When to Stop Zipping
    Juerd wondered exactly when zip stops when given lists of differing
    length. No official answer yet.

    <http://xrl.us/hvcy>

  The usual footer
    To post to any of these mailing lists please subscribe by sending email
    to <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, or
    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>. If you find these summaries useful
    or enjoyable, please consider contributing to the Perl Foundation to
    help support the development of Perl. You might also like to send
    feedback to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

    <http://donate.perl-foundation.org/> -- The Perl Foundation
    <http://dev.perl.org/perl6/> -- Perl 6 Development site
    <http://planet.parrotcode.org/> -- Parrot Blog aggregator