David,

On Oct 11, 2005, at 7:49 PM, Dave Whipp wrote:
Stevan Little wrote:

I would like to propose that class methods do not get inherited along normal class lines.

One of the things that has annoyed me with Java is that it's class methods don't inherit (dispatch polymorphically). This means that you can't apply the "template method" pattern to static (class) methods. I hope Perl 6 doesn't copy this "feature".

If you would please give a real-world-useful example of this usage of class-methods, I am sure I could show you, what I believe, is a better approach that does not use class methods.

As for Java's static methods, they are very different from class methods in Perl 6. Java's static methods are little more than functions which have access to other static members. This "feature" is available in Perl 5 now in the form of subs in a package namespace and package scoped variables. The fact that Java uses the method call syntax to access static methods is (IMHO) just an attempt to have consistency in calling conventions. I say this because (as you pointed out) they share very little with other methods.

Stevan