Stevan Little <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I would like to propose that class methods do not get inherited along
> normal class lines.

I think you're not thinking about many major usage cases for class methods.

For one example, look at my Cipher suite.  (It's in Pugs's ext/Cipher
directory.)  The Cipher base class implements most of the visible API,
while subclasses simply override a few internal methods; Cipher turns
the wide-ranging, convenient external API into a smaller, more easily
implementable internal API.

Some of Cipher's methods are class methods, including the
pseudo-procedural .encipher/.decipher and the pseudo-functional
.encipherer/.decipherer methods.  These methods are included
specifically *to* be inherited.

In my opinion, class method inheritance is an important part of
class-based OO--almost as important as object method inheritance.
Removing features simply because their implementation is inconvenient
is not The Perl Way.  If it were, Perl 6 would be Java With Sigils.

--
Brent 'Dax' Royal-Gordon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Perl and Parrot hacker