Larry Wall skribis 2005-10-19  1:43 (-0700):
> On Tue, Oct 18, 2005 at 04:43:57PM +0200, Juerd wrote:
> : dot sigils are not actually special. They are required on has-variables
> : and forbidden on all other. Changing them to be optional is trivial, or
> : so I hope.
> Dot sigils drive accessor generation, which essentially hoists an
> ordinary variable into the object's namespace. They are not just
> commentary.

"has" can do this without the dot, in theory.

> : (I believe that sigils or twigils should not indicate scope, duration or
> : type. The distinctin between the major variable types is useful, further
> : distinction is not.)
> Eh?  Sigils are for type, twigils are precisely for doing weird things
> with scope or duration.

This doesn't change how I feel about them, though :)

Still, I do like twigils for automatically existing variables, like
%*ENV and &?SUB. Here, I do see the need and use for indicating scope
and duration, but I mostly read the twigil as: this variable is
/special/.

Global scope needs a twigil because in most cases, the declaration would
be nowhere to be found. Declaring superglobals doesn't necessarily make
sense anyway.

The ^ twigil is needed for the same reason: declaration is implicit.

Object attributes are declared by the Perl coder and initialized by
code. I know where they come from, and if not, I can look it up very
easily. There is no twigil for "my" and "our" variables, and we don't
need any. Same for "has": declaration is explicit.

>     : make $:foo equivalent to :foo($foo)  (conjectural)

This one is new to me. I'm not sure I understand what it's used for. Is
there already some documentation about it?

And does this mean $:foo is no longer a private $.foo? (which could be a
very good thing, by the way) What replaces that?

Juerd