Perl 6 Summary for 2005-11-14 through 2005-11-21
    All~

    Welcome to another Perl 6 Summary. The attentive among you may notice
    that this one is on time. I am not sure how that happened, but we will
    try and keep it up. On a complete side note, I think there should be a
    Perl guild of some sort on World of Warcraft. It should probably be
    horde if there is, both because I hate the alliance and because it fits
    better.

  Perl 6 Language
    As usual for Pugs, most development continued off list.

    <http://xrl.us/iipt>

   Too Lazy?
    Luke Palmer posted a problem he was having with pugs. Warnock applies
    (which likely means it was made into a test and fixed).

    <http://xrl.us/iipu>

   Assigning to Named Subrules
    Jerry Gay had a question about the semantics of assigning to named
    subrules in PGE. Patrick explained that it created an array of capture
    objects.

    <http://xrl.us/iipv>

   Keyed Access to Match Objects
    Jerry Gay was having trouble with keyed access to match objects. After
    some discussion he implemented the keyed routine he needed and
    threatened to implement a few more.

    <http://xrl.us/iipw>

   PGE Now " compreg "s
    Patrick announced that PGE was now a better citizen in the parrot world,
    using compreg to locate the compiler instead of find_global.

    <http://xrl.us/iipx>

  Parrot
    I am going to get an English muffin. More in a moment... much better.
    Peanut butter is a wonderful thing. Where was I?

   Character Classes Done
    Jerry Gay wondered if the TODO about strings and character classes was
    still open. Patrick said it was resolved and should be closed.

    <http://xrl.us/iipy>

   rx_grammar.pl Progress?
    Jerry Gay wondered if rx_grammar.pl had seen any work lately. Warnock
    applies.

    <http://xrl.us/iipz>

   N Registers No Longer Get Whacked
    Leo, thanks to his new calling scheme, closed an RT ticket from Dec
    2004.

    <http://xrl.us/iip2>

   Report SVN Revision in parrotbug?
    Jerry Gay resurrected an old ticket wondering whether to add a revision
    field to RT tickets.

    <http://xrl.us/iip3>

   Making Parrot Potable
    Florian Ragwitz was having trouble drinking Parrot so he wants to expend
    some effort to make it more potable. Apparently it does not get drunk so
    well by many machines in debian's build farms and he would like to fix
    it. When he asked how best to do his work (so as not to upset to many),
    Chip suggested a local SVK mirror. Hopefully after he is done even more
    people will be able to enjoy drinking the Parrot kool-aid.

    <http://xrl.us/iip4>

   pbc_merge Requires LINK_DYNAMIC
    Nick Glencross provided a patch fixing pbc_merge on HP-UX. François
    Perrad noted that it was also problem on Win32. Jonathan Worthington
    explained that he was aware of the problem and that the dependency on
    the dynamic libraries would soon be removed.

    <http://xrl.us/iip5>

   Compilable Option
    Will Coleda wants a -c option which will only tell you if the code is
    compilable for Parrot.

    <http://xrl.us/iip6>

   Clerihewsiwhatsit?
    Inspired by Piers's inspiration from his name, Roger Browne wrote a
    Clerihew. Piers and Roger scare me.

    <http://xrl.us/iip7>

   Debug Segments
    There was much discussion about what sort of interface to expose to HLL
    for debug segments. It looks like something good will come out of it
    all.

    <http://xrl.us/iip8>

   "Amber for Parrot" version 0.3.1
    Announced, Roger Browne displaying Amber 0.3.1 aroun': this latest
    version, magic cookie, is more than just a rookie.

    <http://xrl.us/iip9>

   t/library/streams.t Failing
    Patrick is still having trouble with t/library/streams.t. It sounds like
    he would appreciate help, but Warnock applies.

    <http://xrl.us/iiqa>

   PGE::glob Issues
    Will Coleda spotted a problem with PGE::Glob. Patrick fixed it.

    <http://xrl.us/iiqb>

   " find_word_boundary " Unneeded
    Patrick posted his explanation of why find_word_boundary was an unneeded
    opcode. Too that end he posted a patch updating t/op/string_cs.t.
    Warnock applies to both thoughts.

    <http://xrl.us/iiqc>

    <http://xrl.us/iiqd>

   Coroutines Trample Scratchpads
    Nick Glencross noted that coroutine_3.pasm was trampling some memory.
    Leo said that scratchpads were on their way out. Nick wondered if the
    ticket should be closed now, or when this is fixed. I vote that we not
    close tickets until the problem is gone, but Warnock applies.

    <http://xrl.us/iiqe>

   MD5 Broken
    Chip noticed that MD5 was horribly broken recently. He decided that
    parrot should avoid it in favor of the SHA-2 family and maybe Whirlpool.
    If you are a crypto dork, you have your job cut out for you.

    <http://xrl.us/iiqf>

    Joshua Hoblitt joyously closed an RT ticket about removing $(MAKE_C).

    <http://xrl.us/iiqg>

   inconsistent dll linkage
    Jerry Gay announce that the last MSVC 7.1 compiler warning had him
    thoroughly confused. Ron Blaschke explained the problem and suggested
    two solutions. I wonder if we have a clean windows build now?

    <http://xrl.us/iiqh>

   STM and Cycle Counting
    Erik Paulson explained that he was looking into adding STM to parrot,
    but wanted some sort of cycle counter. Leo explained what his rough idea
    for implementing this had been and suggested a way to implement the
    cycle counter with a minimum of slow down for everyone else.

    <http://xrl.us/iiqi>

   Branching to Nonexistent Labels
    Jonathan Worthington was having fun making parrot segfault with
    malformed PIR. Leo put a stop to some of his fun.

    <http://xrl.us/iiqj>

   Changing Default File Handles
    chromatic wants to be able to reopen his file handles for Parrot::Test.
    Jerry Gay suggest some sort of freopen opcode.

    <http://xrl.us/iiqk>

   New pmc syntax for HLLs
    Will Coleda stole some of Ambers type registration magic, but he made it
    a little sugarier syntactically. So Roger Browne stole back.

    <http://xrl.us/iiqm>

   Call Frame Access
    Chip began to pontificate about how one should access call frames. Chip
    suggested using a PMC, but Leo thought that would be too slow. It looks
    like the preliminary decision was to go with methods on the interpreter
    PMC.

    <http://xrl.us/iiqn>

   test suite refactoring
    Jerry Gay posted an idea for how to refactor the test suite to make it a
    little less scattered about. Response was positive and he began working.

    <http://xrl.us/iiqo>

   RESPONSIBLE_PARTIES
    Joshua Hoblitt made Jerry Gay the responsible/culpable party for the
    test suite. Jerry Gay, having successfully drunk the kool-aid, was
    honored.

    <http://xrl.us/iiqp>

  Perl 6 Language
    I want a cookie. Sadly there are none in the house.

   but, but, but... optimizations!
    Aaron Sherman wondered if chained buts would be optimized to one big
    anonymous class or would generate intermediate classes. Larry thought
    that maybe " $b but C | D | E | F; " would be the syntax to use to get
    the first behavior and " $b but C but D but E but F; " would provide the
    second.

    <http://xrl.us/iiqq>

   Too Lazy?
    In an attempt to dewarnock himself, Luke Palmer changed audiences and
    expanded his question to allow for the autoloading of functions that
    were not found initially. Austin Hastings provided a few thoughts.

    <http://xrl.us/iiqr>

   Filling a Role Different Ways
    Christopher D. Malon posted an analysis of how he would like to fill
    roles in several different ways depending on whim. Warnock applied.

    <http://xrl.us/iiqs>

   Signature of " =" >?
    Joshua Choi wondered what the signature of => would be. Larry explained
    that it was undeclarable.

    <http://xrl.us/iiqt>

   s:g/grep/$something_better/
    Ilmari Vacklin though that perhaps grep should be renamed to something
    better like filter. Some voiced their support for grep. I would guess
    that this is not going to change, although I did like the generalization
    for allowing arbitrary binning of items by returning an int from the
    block...

    <http://xrl.us/iiqu>

    <http://xrl.us/iiqv>

   Private Behavior in Roles
    Ovid was having trouble with Class::Trait not hiding its imports. Larry
    explained that in Perl 6 importation would be lexically scoped to solve
    this problem.

    <http://xrl.us/iiqw>

   Using Hyphens in Identifiers
    Daniel Brockman wondered about allowing hyphens in identifiers. @a[$i-1]
    + @a[$i+1] convinced him it would be a bad idea.

    <http://xrl.us/iiqx>

   Lvalue Reverse
    Juerd noticed that reverse in Perl 5 is quasi-lvalue-ish because of an
    optimization in for. He wants it to be made either fully or not at all
    an lvalue. People seem to agree.

    <http://xrl.us/iiqy>

   The Once and Future Flipflop
    Ingo Blechschmidt wondered how till (the new flipflop operator) would
    work. Larry explained that it was a macro and Ingo was enlightened.

    <http://xrl.us/iiqz>

   multi-dimensional argument lists
    Ingo Blechschmidt was a little confused with multidimensional argument
    lists (such as that of zip). Much explanation ensued.

    <http://xrl.us/iiq2>

   statement_control?
    Rob Kinyon wondered what things were statement control items like for.
    Comments both helpful and snarky were offered. Fortunately the snarky
    ones were later apologized for.

    <http://xrl.us/iiq3>

   Where Has Ponie Run?
    Joshua Gatcomb wondered what the state of Ponie is. I must admit to
    wondering the exact same thing silently earlier this week.

    <http://xrl.us/iiq4>

   Combining Unicode Escapes
    Ruud H.G. van Tol (who has one of the cooler names I have seen lately)
    wondered about providing a nice syntax for escaping several Unicode
    sequences in a row. Larry explained that he already had it and pointed
    him to the latest set of apocalypses.

    <http://xrl.us/iiq5>

  The usual footer
    To post to any of these mailing lists please subscribe by sending email
    to <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, or
    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>. If you find these summaries useful
    or enjoyable, please consider contributing to the Perl Foundation to
    help support the development of Perl. You might also like to send
    feedback to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

    <http://donate.perl-foundation.org/> -- The Perl Foundation
    <http://dev.perl.org/perl6/> -- Perl 6 Development site
    <http://planet.parrotcode.org/> -- Parrot Blog aggregator