On Thu, 2005-12-08 at 17:16 +0100, Ron Blaschke wrote:
> The Free Lunch Is Over: A Fundamental Turn Toward Concurrency in Software."
> [1] He starts with "The biggest sea change in software development since
> the OO revolution is knocking at the door, and its name is Concurrency."

Perhaps have a read of:

http://svn.openfoundry.org/pugs/docs/AES/S17draft.pod

Two non-traditional methods of concurrency are discussed;

  * atomic blocks - an atomic { } guard around a block that, assuming
                    the block performs no I/O, will guarantee atomic
                    success or failure of the block.

  * co-routines - essentially co-operative multitasking between
                  'blocking' threads that actually switch tasks when
                  they block (or yield).

There is also some stuff there on other types of timesharing and
multiprocessing - Threads, Processes and Multiplexing (like Ruby).

Sam.