Larry~

On 1/18/06, Larry Wall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> But I have a strong gut-feeling that over the long term it's going to
> be important to be able to view a given object as either a partially
> instantiated class or a partially undefined object, and for that we have
> to break down the false class/instance dichotomy.  And to the extent
> that the dichotomy *isn't* false, we're trying to sweep classness into
> the .meta object, which is the *real* class object in Perl 6.

Perhaps I am just being short sighted, but I never saw this as a false
dichotomy.  In fact, every time I hear about these "partially
instatiated" I cringe in horror about the strange halfway lands we
might end up in... Oh no, this method can only be called on an object
that is 3/4 initialized, and you supplied one that is 2/3 initialized
that causes undefined behavior.

Could you provide a concrete example of the advantage of this approach
please?  Failing that can you try and expand on your gut feeling a
bit?

Thanks,
Matt
--
"Computer Science is merely the post-Turing Decline of Formal Systems Theory."
-Stan Kelly-Bootle, The Devil's DP Dictionary