On Tue, Feb 07, 2006 at 03:54:07PM -0800, Larry Wall wrote:
: On Tue, Feb 07, 2006 at 03:28:05PM -0800, Larry Wall wrote:
: : say $::<You can already do that!>;
:
: Or you can use a symbolic ref with a constant string:
:
:     $::('x y');
:
: The compiler knows it's a constant.  And it's even implemented in Pugs.

Hmm, except you can't yet use the $::('') form in a "my", of course.
Presumably we'll have to tell "my" to accept one or another of these
quoting forms to avoid people scattering BEGIN blocks all over just so
they can introduce funny symbols into their MY tables.  Arguably you
ought to be able to say things like

    my $::('foo') = 1;
    my $::<bar> = 2;

when the name can be resolved at compile time.

Anyway, however it works out, my point is that we don't need to recruit
a new quoting delimiter for it.  I think ` can still be reserved for
user-defined quoting.

Larry