On 4/6/06, Larry Wall wrote:
On Thu, Apr 06, 2006 at 10:18:48PM +0800, Audrey Tang wrote:
: TSa wrote:
: > And a self($_.bar) is pretty much useless. In other words
: > wrongly huffmanized.
:
: FWIW, I agree with both points.

I agree with those points too, but not necessarily the conclusion. Sometimes Huffman is trumped by the principle of Knowing What the Heck is Going On.

Just so you realize that it will make missing operators errors harder
to notice, particularly missing semicolon or comma.  There have to be
some spots in the grammar that enforce synchronization by being syntax
errors, or we really will end up with a language that can parse line noise.

Yes. I like cute context tricks for their aesthetic elegance, but I also like Perl 6's attempts to cut down on the number of rules I need to memorise in order to parse stuff correctly in my head.

Another option would be to duplicate the . on both ends of the whitespace
when you want a delayed postfix:

    say.
    .foo.
    .[32];

Somebody please point out all the downsides to this approach.  But you're
only allowed to count "I'm not used to it yet" once.  :-)

Since my first thought was something like that, I'm already getting used to it! Well, what I actually thought of was:
    foo...
     ...[32]

...because the longer "..." draws more attention to the fact that you're only seeing half the picture. But perhaps the pattern should be more like ...+\s*...+ so you can say:

    sphygmomanometry.......[120/80];

-David "probably not serious about that" Green