On Thu, Jun 01, 2006 at 11:52:59AM +1200, Sam Vilain wrote:
: The lock on entry approach will only be for non-threaded interpreters
: that don't know how to do real STM.

The way I see it, the fundamental difference is that with ordinary
locking, you're locking in real time, whereas with STM you potentially
have the ability to virtualize time to see if there's a way to order
the locks in virtual time such that they still make sense.  Then you
just pretend that things happened in that order.

As for side-effecty ops, many of them can just be a promise to perform
the op later when the transaction is committed, I suspect.

Larry