On Wed, Jul 12, 2006 at 16:16:13 -0400, Aaron Sherman wrote:

> The other way to think about === would be that it tells you if its LHS
> *could* be constant-folded onto its RHS (if it were constant for long
> enough)

What is the benefit here?

> Because of the word "deep". Deep implies arbitrary work, which isn't
> really what you want in such a low-level operator. However, using these
> operator, one could easily build whatever you like.

The number of times i *sigh*ed at having to reinvent deep operators
in a clunky way in Perl 5 is really not in line with Perlishness and
DWIM.

Also ~~ is deep in exactly the same way.

Perl is also not low level.

I could build it, and I have, but I don't want to.

It can short circuit and be faster when the structure is definitely
not the same (totally different early on) or definitely the same
(refaddr is equal, etc).

Should I go on?

> I'd avoid saying "memory", here. Some implementations of Perl 6 might
> not know what memory looks like (on a sufficiently abstract VM).

"Slot"

--
  Yuval Kogman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://nothingmuch.woobling.org  0xEBD27418