On 5/14/07, John Macdonald <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
 Removing the sigil
on a function call (it used to always be written &sub(args...))
did, I think, lead to the difficulty in perl5 where it became
difficult to add new keyword operators to the language - because
they could conflict with subroutine names in existing code.

Actually I think I never understood  this issue.
We claim that having the sigils saves us from stepping on our future
feet by making sure keywords of the language are always different
from any variable we might create.

The fact that function don't need a sigil any more and it is even
AFAIK discouraged to be used makes *this* argument mute.

Thought this thread might not be the best place to ask this
I'd be glad to read some explanation about this.

regards
  Gabor