HaloO,

Jon Lang wrote:
TSa wrote:
 Note that I see ** more as a parametric postscript then a real binary.
 That is $x**$y sort of means $x(**$y).

That's where we differ, then.  I'm having trouble seeing the benefit
of that perspective, and I can clearly see a drawback to it - namely,
you have to think of infix:<**> as being a different kind of thing
than infix:.«<+ - * />, despite having equivalent forms.

I see no drawback but a necessity because of the following asymmetry:

      3 * 2 == 3 + 3 == 2 + 2 + 2;
      3 **2 == 3 * 3 != 2 * 2 * 2;

So ** more behaves like 3.pow(2) and overloading ** with
non-numeric types on the right is questionable. Certain
overloads of the left side might even require the right
side to be (unsigned) integer. And of course

     $any ** $int === [*]($any xx $int)

should hold.

Regards, TSa.
--

The Angel of Geometry and the Devil of Algebra fight for the soul
of any mathematical being.   -- Attributed to Hermann Weyl