HaloO,

Carl Mäsak wrote:
My complaint could be pithily summarized as "those are _my_,
attributes, why can't I write to them?"

Perhaps you should change your POV. The correct terminus
technicus for the $.foo twigil variables is 'call the method'
which nicely embeds attribute access into dispatch and makes
base methods future proof with respect to deriving classes.
Your 100% rw observation then to me indicates that OO is more
about data sharing than method dispatch. Note that rw accessors
are particularly difficult to handle in typesafe mode.

Regards, TSa.
--

"The unavoidable price of reliability is simplicity" -- C.A.R. Hoare
"Simplicity does not precede complexity, but follows it." -- A.J. Perlis