On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 2:36 PM, Chris Dolan <ch...@chrisdolan.net> wrote:
> Yes, just as I said: a constant offset between each of the proposed
> epochs.

No, because the offset is not constant.  The delta between TAI and UTC
is currently 34 seconds.  Two months ago it was 33 seconds.  The next
time there's a leap second it will change again.  And we can't
reliably predict when that will be.

time_t is indeed easiest to implement, but it doesn't have any way of
distinguishing 2008-12-31 23:59:60 UTC from 2009-01-01 00:00:00 UTC.
Better to use a basis that has all the information and then transform
the value into the lossier form on demand, I think.