On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 11:04:03AM +0200, Helmut Wollmersdorfer wrote:
> It's not explicitly specified, if insignificant whitespace is allowed in
> \c[...], \x[...], etc.
>
> Std.pm allows e.g.
>
>   "\x[   41  ,   42  ,  43  ]"
>
> For convenience - especially with long charnames - it should be possible
> to write
>
> "\c[
>     SPACE,                 # blafasel
>     LATIN SMALL LETTER A,  # some comment
>     COMBINING DOT BELOW,   # thisandthat
> ]"

Does anyone know offhand whether the Unicode Consortium has an explicit
policy against use of punctuation in a charname?  So far they only
seem to use hyphen and parens, but I wonder to what extent we can
depend on that...

In any case, STD doesn't currently try to check the string in \c[...]
for correctness.  It just scans for the closing bracket.  We will
certainly need to refine this, and the suggested approach is certainly
a possible outcome, if we decide it's sufficiently unambiguous.

Larry