Jon Lang wrote:
On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 5:44 PM, Daniel Carrera
<daniel.carr...@theingots.org> wrote:
I think we might need to come up with some sort of standard naming
convention to distinguish dependencies. Something that the *user* can
recognize quickly when he browses CPAN.

Why do we need the dependencies to be part of the name?  Perl 6
provides a rugged versioning system for its modules; we should use it.

I read S11 and AFAICT Perl 6 only includes metadata for *versions* and *authority*:

    class Dog:ver<1.2.1>:auth<cpan:JRANDOM>;
    class Dog:ver<1.2.1>:auth<http://www.some.com/~jrandom>;
    class Dog:ver<1.2.1>:auth<mailto:jran...@some.com>;

This has nothing to do with dependencies. There is no reason why the same author cannot write two variations of the same module, with different dependencies. In fact, I suspect that will happen often. Digest::SHA and Digest::SHA::PurePerl are written by the same author. He recommends the C version to most people, but he also wrote a Perl only version for people who don't have access to a C compiler.
module
Using the version or authority fields to denote dependencies is a much greater abuse than using the base name.

Daniel.