Am Freitag, den 10.07.2009, 17:06 -0700 schrieb Jon Lang:
> How about this: in role composition, "mandate" causes methods to take
> precedence over other methods with which they would normally conflict,
> and to conflict with methods that would normally take precedence over
> them.

I really dislike this because it is contrary to the original idea of the
"stateless traits" as defined in the original paper from Nathanael
Schärli.
The main reason why "traits" have been introduced was to solve the
problems inherent to mixins. In mixins the main problem is that the
class using the mixin is not able to control the composition (which is
simply done sequencially) and that lend to fragile hierarchies.

The brilliant idea with "traits" is that it bring back the control to
the class consuming the "trait" and conflicts have to be solved
explicitly. The traits paper propose 3 different operators to solve such
conflicts: overriding, excluding or aliasing.

I definitively think that perl 6 roles should also have an excluding
operator because I think that *every* composition conflicts arrising
should be solvable by the class comsuming the role.

What you propose here is a step behind: you reintroduce the problem
existing with mixins by bringing back precedence rules in the way
composition is made.

So far, I have only seen reference to the original paper decribing the
"stateless traits". As roles are an implementation of "stateful traits",
maybe we should start to point to the paper formalising it:
http://scg.unibe.ch/archive/papers/Berg07eStatefulTraits.pdf