On Thu, 2009-09-17 at 11:12 -0700, yary wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 1:05 AM, Damian Conway <dam...@conway.org> wrote:
> > Aaron Sherman asked:
> >> I'd very much like to establish that at default optimization levels for
> >> execution, this information is not guaranteed to be maintained past the
> >> creation of the AST.
> >
> > Unfortunately, it is. Perl 6 defines that Perl 6 programs can always
> > access their own Pod at runtime (via $=POD). You probably can't even
> > optimize the information away in the absence of any compile-time
> > reference to $=POD, since there are plenty of symbolic ways to refer to
> > $=POD at run-time.
>
> Can some concept/implementation of $=POD lazyness only incur the
> memory and performance hit on access?

Alternately it should be possible to declare that the Pod data be
dropped before mainline runtime begins.  For example, it ought to be
possible for a compiling implementation such as Rakudo to declare that
the Pod data not be frozen into the PBC file.

(If this is already specced, I apologize -- I haven't searched for it.)

-'f