On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 11:47:45AM -0400, Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:
> On Oct 11, 2009, at 06:36 , Mark J. Reed wrote:
>> That's not grammatical; you've just created a run-on sentence.  Why
>> not
>> leave it as a colon?
>
> Or semicolon.  I agree comma seems wrong.

Colon is correct here because the second phrase defines what we mean
in the first phrase.  It could also be viewed as a logical consequence,
though semantically it's more like a final cause.  But in general
a colon indicates that we're explaining what we mean in the first part,
which is a tighter relationship than the mere juxtaposion of semicolon,
which leaves the reader to work out the relationship.

Larry