On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 00:46, Darren Duncan <dar...@darrenduncan.net>wrote:

> All details specific to any calendar, including Gregorian, including
> concepts like seconds or hours or days, should be left out of the core and
> be provided by separate modules.  Said modules can be self-contained, just
> say using Perl's ordinary numeric and string types for internal
> representation, and Perl's single core now() routine they can use to
> determine the current datetime, and the module can introspect its result or
> calendar() and figure out how to map that to the internal representation or
> API it wants to use, as well as figure out the proper way to invoke sleep().

I think you're taking minimalism at least two steps too far; your bikeshed
has become too small to contain a bike.

A standard library can and should provide reasonable functionality.

We _know_ that the North-Western civilizations' common understanding of time
(calendars and time-of-day), as defined in various standards, are
fundamental to how we handle a lot of programming problems.

I don't see any good reason not to provide the basic functionality needed,
and especially not when it's already there.
--
Jan