On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 09:57:26AM -0400, Mark J. Reed wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 7:42 AM, Leon Timmermans <faw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Continuations and fibers are incredibly useful and should be easy to
> > implement on parrot/rakudo but they aren't really concurrency. They're
> > a solution to a different problem.
>
> I would argue that concurrency isn't a problem to solve; it's one form
> of solution to the problem of maximizing efficiency.
> Continuations/fibers and asynchronous event loops are  different
> solutions to the same problem.

Pardon my ignorance, but are continuations the same thing as
co-routines, or is it more primitive than that? Also, doesn't this
really just allow context switching outside of the knowledge of a
kernel thread, thus allowing one to implement tasks at the user level?

Concurrency can apply to a lot of different things, but the problem is
now not only implementing an algorithm concurrently but also using the
concurrency available in the hardware efficiently.

Brett

--
B. Estrade <estr...@gmail.com>