The whole point of objects is to encapsulate state, accepting messages
which operate and report on that state.  Making a new object every
time the state changes sort of defeats the purpose; I certainly
wouldn't call it "object orientation done right".

Total immutability is very powerful, but it's not the way Perl 6 is
designed, and would represent a radical departure in that design.

However, I do think that we need selective immutability.  I firmly
agree in principle that "readonly all the way down" should just work,
without the programmer having to jump through hoops to make defensive
copies. Of course, the plumbing to make that happen strikes me as
likely to be complex and therefore fragile.

--
Mark J. Reed <markjr...@gmail.com>