On 21 March 2012 22:09, Damian Conway <dam...@conway.org> wrote:
>> Is it possible to create a new range operator ':' such that:
>
> Do you need to?

Hmm... maybe not...

>> a:b:c is a range from 'a' to 'b' by steps of 'c'.
>
> Perl 6 already has: $a,*+$c...* >=$b
>
> E.g. 2, 5 ...^ *>=15  ----> 2,5,8,11,14

That looks really scary.  I'll try to figure out what it means later.

> Perl 6 already has ^$b
> Perl 6 already has $a..* or $a...*
> Perl 6 already has: ^Inf ----> 0,1,2,3,4,5,....

Ok... I think can use that.

I want to write a simple class for numerical computation. Mostly
because I don't like NumPy, PDL or Octave/Matlab. When I wrote my
email I was thinking of slices:

@matrix[2..5][3..7]
@matrix[2..5][*]
@matrix[5..*][^3]

I guess that's alright. It doesn't seem to be worth the effort in
adding new syntax.

I'm having trouble getting this to work with Rakudo Star (2012.02) though...

> my @a = \[1,2,3,4,5], \[6,7,8,9,0]
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0

> @a[0]
1 2 3 4 5

> @a[0].WHAT
Capture()

> @a[0][2]
Any()

:-(

> Perl 6 already has:  0,$c...*

Interesting... but it doesn't seem to work in Rakudo Star (2012.02):

> @(2,5..10)
2 5 6 7 8 9 10

:-(

Cheers,