Bash is treating ! as the history substitution character, and either
erroring out or substituting a previous command line. ^ has related
behavior at the start of a line.

... is specially recognized by the compiler, for example treating a class
stubbed with ... as a forward declaration. I don't know if !!! is similar.

--
brandon s allbery kf8nh
allber...@gmail.com