Russ Allbery writes:
>The entire point and *purpose* of a lawyer specializing in contract law is
>to write clearly.  They're not writing clearly for the average reader,
>necessarily; that requires a whole different type of phrasing.  They're
>writing clearly for the interpretation of the contract by a judge, and in
>so doing they're drawing on *centuries* of definitions.

I once said to an ex-lawyer, now software friend at work that law seemed to
be an effort to make English as unambiguous as computer code.  He laughed,
but granted that the idea had some merit...
Mark Leighton Fisher            [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Thomson Consumer Electronics    Indianapolis IN
"Display some adaptability." -- Doug Shaftoe, _Cryptonomicon_