Go through a few versions of Perl and read the copy of the
Artistic License you see.  It changes.  There is simply no
way that Larry OKed each change with the copyright holders,
and so there is simply no way that he actually had the
authority to make those changes.

I noticed this when an old Debian had a different Artistic
License than the current Perl.  Specifically anyone
distributing a commercial product that embeds a Perl
interpreter really is in legal limbo and is essentially
just crossing their fingers hoping no copyright holder
dislikes them...

This is why when I made an attempt at a new AL I mentioned
that I thought the copyright statement on Perl should have
some specific provision granting Larry or the designated
maintainer some ability to relicense Perl should the need
arise.  Something like the following should do:

  Larry Wall reserves the right for he or his designated
  maintainer to release Perl under different licensing
  arrangements.

  Such special releases will be publically announced
  before hand, and there will be a period of at least two
  months for public discussion.  The release will not go
  ahead if at the end of that period any copyright holders
  have remaining objections that cannot be resolved.

  This is expected to be an unusual event, and its purpose
  is to make it possible to resolve currently unforseen
  issues with the licensing of Perl.

The wording I proposed to the AL would bind all who contribute
under the AL to accept the new licensing if they did not
object in the designated time period, yet avoids any
requirement to assign copyright to someone else.

This kind of term *would* have kept the changes to the AL from
leading to the problem I just described in the current license.

Cheers,
Ben