Mark-Jason Dominus wrote:

>         These 13 ( 8%) had very brief IMPLEMENTATION sections that
>         didn't contain any substantive discussion.
>
>         These 21 (13%) contained remarks about the author's ignorance.
>
>         These 15 ( 9%) had no IMPLEMENTATION section at all.

The distinction between these three cases is arbitrary and trivial,
being as they are more a reflection of the authors' tastes.

> RFCs: 97 100
>
>         These 2 ( 1%) said that implementation discussion was beyond
>         the scope of the RFC, which I don't understand, since it
>         clearly *is* part of the scope of the RFC.
>
> RFCs: 7 16 33 34 68 74 76 77 91 94 102 107 114 118 121 144
>
>         These 16 (10%) said something along the lines of "The
>         implementation should be straightforward."  I did not try to
>         judge whether this was actually true.

I wish you had applied the standard more evenly; imho, 97 & 100 had
good reasons for their cursory treatments of implementation.

> Not everyone knows enough about Perl's internal design or about
> programming design generally to be able to consider the issues.  I
> suggest that these people should write to the approrpriate working
> group chair and ask to be put in touch with someone who can help them
> with the internals sections of their RFC.

I respectfully register my dissenting opinion.

It's what "RFC" means.

However, the status of each RFC ought to be shown on the main RFC index;
and withdrawn (or otherwise euthanized) RFCs should be removed from thence,
perhaps to another, archival page.

--
John Porter

        We're building the house of the future together.