On Mon, Sep 11, 2000 at 05:30:01PM -0400, Chaim Frenkel wrote:
> We are not at that stage yet.

We're so far into that stage that its starting to rot.  We have 209
seperate feature ideas.  That's plenty to start getting serious.

Just because we start thinking seriously about implementation details
*doesn't* mean others cannot continue brainstorming.

> There are too many new things that are _supposed_ to interact to
> bother with a prototype. It doesn't do any good, until the language
> is nailed down.

Consider these like unit tests.  You want to make sure each piece
works seperately before you try to put them all together.

Also, it may be possible to combine several prototype implementations
together and see what happens.

> You position is _perfectly_ and absolutely the only one that should be
> taken _ONCE_ the p6 code base has firmed up and is past the feature
> freeze phase.

At that point it is too late and pointless to produce prototypes.  The
feature freeze must come before or very earily in coding (else how do
you know what to code?).  Once the code base has firmed up, it will be
too late to find fundemental problems with the features.

Its the difference between catching a mistake during architecture and
catching it during construction.  100 times difference.  Prototypes
are *cheap* compared to the cost of noticing a mistkae during
construction.

> Lets work on firming up the specs and ironing out differences.

That's the whole point of prototyping.

--

Michael G Schwern      http://www.pobox.com/~schwern/      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Just Another Stupid Consultant                      Perl6 Kwalitee Ashuranse