On Tue, Feb 13, 2001 at 07:32:46PM -0700, Nathan Torkington wrote:
> David L. Nicol writes:
> > Is there a budget?  Apprenticeship makes all kinds of sense when
> > there is actually a money flow into the guild; the carrot of eventual
> > credentials is too weak for me and many lesser poetasters.
> >
> > Could O'Reilly and Microsoft divert some funds to actually paying people
> > for helping out?  That would change the ball game something massive
>
> I can't speak the final word for O'Reilly, but I can say that we're
> already paying Larry's salary and have basically told him that
> his most important job is Perl6.

I am editing and producing the perl6 summaries as a pro bono publici,
because I believe that more information about Perl 6 will help the wider
community; nobody is making any money out of the work I am producing.

If you think it would be ethical and correct for the assistants to draw
a salary while the editor does not, please go ahead and push O'Reilly
for money.

For my part, I would not recommend such a course of action.

--
If they can put a man on the moon, why can't they put them all there?