I told my coworkers I'd get pugs up and running for us, so we could
start getting some hands on experience. I managed this on my home
system in the past, but am completely stymied now.

We're running Red Hat Enterprise 4, and I'm stuck at square one, trying
to get GHC running. You need ghc working to compile ghc, or you need
to bootstrap it. Reading the bootstrapping instructions, it assumes
you have a system somewhere that has ghc working. That is not the case
for me. The other option is to unpack existing .hc files over your
source tree, but I am unable to find any.

Is this really as hard as it seems to me? I used to think I was reasonably
bright

Thanks,
~Jeff