On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 3:10 PM, James Fuller
<james.fuller.2...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Is there any sponsorship money to spend on a very good graphic
> designer to create something based on a small list of requirements as
> to what meaning it should convey ?

I would agree; have a professional do it and we'll probably get better
results.

> Of course the logo should represent the community fundamentally, but I
> find all of the suggestions little to do with addressing needs of a
> logo versus needs of what I would call more of a 'club' badge.

Having said that here's my idea:

Basically, the perl community has largely adopted TIMTOWTDI as a philosophy
(as well as DWIM, but that's harder to model). For that, a cluster of arrows
in different directions seems fitting:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_yy_uiqKCf0Q/RcEfrHZ_0hI/AAAAAAAAAB8/Mk1xayjGaSQ/s1600-h/arrows3.jpg
http://www.sxc.hu/photo/1060296
http://www.sxc.hu/photo/659267

I personally like the idea of the last one (retains geek cred).

[warning: light-hearted humor ahead]
There's also the notion that perl6's scope has creeped to accommodate a
large enough set of ideas. Seems like an appropriate logo:

http://images.google.com/images?gbv=2&hl=en&q=kitchen+sink

-Jason "s1n" Switzer